- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken TIP: purchase a whole roast chicken from supermarket
- 1 1/2 cups diced, red onions
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups/8oz. grated, Pepper Jack Cheese
- 3 cups thick and chunky mild salsa
- 3 cups red enchilada sauce
- 16 6 inch corn tortillas
Lightly oil 15 x 10 x 2- inch glass baking dish.
Shred or cut the roast chicken into pieces. Season chicken filling with salt and pepper to taste. Mix first 6 ingredients and 1 cup cheese in medium bowl. Mix salsa and enchilada sauce in a large bowl. Heat heavy medium skillet over high heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook until heated through, about 10 seconds per side. Brush tortilla with some sauce mixture. Spoon 1/3 cup chicken filling into center of tortilla. Roll up. Place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, some sauce and remaining filling. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill enchiladas and remaining sauce separately.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon remaining sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Cover with foil. Bake until heated through, about 35- 40 minutes (or up to 45 minutes for refrigerated enchiladas).
Served with Spanish rice and pinto beans.
Courtesy of the Pickel Chalet at Mountain Warfare Training Center, Bridgeport, here’s an easy meal that can please a crowd!